100+ and still going strong!
In 2011 the Club celebrated its "Centenary", although there is a tradition that Bowls was first played at Newick in 1900, in the garden at the rear of the Bull Inn. When it was formally set up in August 1911 the membership consisted of eight men! The Green was half its present size - just 3 rinks - and the first match, on 27 July 1912, was an 'away' fixture against Uckfield, with the 'return' match played at Newick three weeks later.
In 1938 the Green was extended to 4 rinks and then to 6 rinks in 1963. By 2000 a complete re-laying of the Green was necessary and this prompted a major building programme resulting in an upgrade of the Club facilities. Until 1974 the Club had an all-male membership, despite the fact that women had bowled at Newick since the Second World War, and it was 1988 before women were able to hold office. Today they number almost half the membership and play a comprehensive, active and equal part in our fully mixed club.
For further historical information see our Honours information - Click Competitions/Honours and browse there.